Dr Miyawaki invented an efficient way of planting ecological forests
- Akira Miyawaki, a Japanese botanist and plant ecologist, studied PNV in Germany for his phD:
- with phytosociologist Reinhold Tüxen re: PNV "Potential Natural Vegetation".
- reforestation with "original" species gives good and often spectacular results
- Richmond BC's PNV zone is called Cedar-Hemlock-DouglasFir
- Key: restore native, multi-stratal forests following an ecological method.
- this method dramatically accelerates forest growth and result in a stable (maintenance-free after 3 years) and bio-diverse forest ecosystem.
- There are now over 3000 Miyawaki sites globally. None in Canada yet.